Additional Beach Concerts in AC …
ATLANTIC CITY — The board of the Casino Reinvestment Development Authority approved a three-year, $6 million agreement with Live Nation on Tuesday to bring more beach concerts in the upcoming summers.
The deal requires Live Nation to bring at least six beach concerts or events that attract 30,000 attendees or more to Atlantic City during the next three summers. The agreement comes after Live Nation successfully bid last year to run this summer’s six beach concerts.
Guardian admin to recommend Live Nation for 2016 summer concerts
Live Nation also submitted a bid to the city earlier this week to run the concerts in 2017 and 2018, said Chris Filiciello, chief of staff for Mayor Don Guardian. The latest bid is subject to City Council approval. Live Nation was the only vendor to submit bids in both cases.
The Authority’s board also approved providing an additional $3 million over three years for Live Nation to run events at Boardwalk Hall.
“Boardwalk Hall is a tremendous venue for world-class entertainment and over the past two years our four beach concerts have been a huge success and will continue to attract many thousands of visitors to our Boardwalk and beaches,” John Palmieri, the Authority’s executive director, said in a statement.
Board actions will take effect following the expiration of the Governor’s statutory review period.
Over the past two years, the beach concerts were a success for the resort as it tries to reinvent itself as more than a gambling town.
More than 100,000 people showed up for the Blake Shelton and Lady Antebellum shows in 2014, and at least another 80,000 came for Maroon 5 and Rascal Flatts this year. The concerts reportedly brought millions in economic benefit, created temporary jobs and showed off one of the city’s least utilized assets: the beach.
Palmieri said the concerts help promote the city as a destination while bringing thousands of people to not only go to the concerts, but also spend money at the hotels, shops and restaurants.